Private party

As a victim, you may decide to join the criminal proceedings as a private party, which grants you additional rights and possibilities to intervene.
To join as a private party, you must make a declaration to this effect. In this declaration, the claim to compensation for the damage or loss suffered by a crime or the impairment sustained must be quantified.
This notice must be given to the police or the public prosecutor during the investigative proceedings. It can be made either orally or in writing.
During the trial, notice must be given until the close of the evidence-taking and before the court closes the trial to pronounce a verdict.
By that time at the latest, the claim must have been quantified as a concrete sum.

Your rights as a private party:

  • You can file evidence serving to convict the offender or to justify the claim to compensation,
  • If the public prosecutor drops the case you can keep up the charges by way of subsidiary prosecution,
  • You may institute legal remedies against the judge’s decision to drop the case,
  • You are invited to the trial and given an opportunity to explain and substantiate your claims after the public prosecutor’s final plea,
  • You may file an appeal to enforce private-law claims when the defendant is found guilty.